[Sca-cooks] An Apology (was A challenge to Duke Cariadoc)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Oct 7 21:42:55 PDT 2001

Elizabeth said:
>     My understanding is that Moslems, Jews and Christian were able to
> live together peacefully for a time in Moorish Spain.  Maybe we've been
> able to re-create a *really* good part.

The catch is the "for a time". There were other places where the three
lived together peaceably for a period of time. Unfortunately, these
periods didn't always last long. Sometimes it was the Moslems that
broke things up, more usual the Christians. Palestine was another place
where the three religions lived more or less peacefully together for
a while. However, one religion was always supreme and making the rules.
The Moslems just seemed to be a bit more tolerant of others than the
Christians. However, until the late Roman period, the Romans did a
much better job of this than any of the other religions mentioned here.

For a bit more on religious tolerance in period, check this file in
the RELIGION section of the Florilegium:
p-relig-tol-msg   (12K)  3/21/00    Period religious tolerance. Pact of
Ulmar.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/RELIGION/p-relig-tol-msg.html
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net