indigo [was Re: [Sca-cooks] Puritans, was: Canadian Friends]

Nambeanntan at aol.com Nambeanntan at aol.com
Mon Oct 8 09:27:22 PDT 2001

In a message dated 10/8/2001 8:20:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com writes:

> And I still haven't found any sources that tell me whether
> it's safe to use inert indigo (the dyeing process involves oxidation) to
> color one's pottage, as mentioned in the Anglo-Norman sources, or if they
> just meant indigo-colored, ie, blue.

I nearly tossed my tea at this idea.  Indigo is subjected to an oxidation
process much as tea leaves are but with the additional step of  being soaked
in ammonia as a mordant.  I have never come across any warnings or cautions
about using indigo just about the urine needed for the mordant.