[Sca-cooks] Re: indigo

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Oct 8 09:52:36 PDT 2001

Nambeanntan at aol.com wrote:

> I nearly tossed my tea at this idea.  Indigo is subjected to an oxidation
> process much as tea leaves are but with the additional step of  being soaked
> in ammonia as a mordant.  I have never come across any warnings or cautions
> about using indigo just about the urine needed for the mordant.

So that explains!... I Have a Christmas wreath that I made several years
ago, trimmed with some sort of dried grass/wheatlike stuff that has been
dyed dark blue. It is ok hanging on the door, but when you first pull it
out of the box- Phwew! And working with the stuff was a little whiffy.
Hmm. Wonder if it was dyed with indigo!

In general, I don't believe in blue food. The exception being the large
quantities of blue Powerade that I put away...

'Lainie