indigo [was Re: [Sca-cooks] Puritans, was: Canadian Friends]

Jennifer Whitbeck jbwhitbeck at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 12:09:56 PDT 2001

--- "Decker, Terry D." <TerryD at Health.State.OK.US>
wrote:

> While Braveheart may be a fun movie, it plays fast
> and loose with the
> history and I suspect the woad war paint, especially
> for Wallace, was a
> fanciful touch.

I recently saw on our History Channel an episode of
their "History vs. Hollywood" series which looked at
the Braveheart movie. I don't remember who was being
interviewed, perhaps the person responsible for
designing the costumes, but they very specifically
stated that they already realized the use of the woad
predated Wallace's time by a fair margin while they
were filming. Apparently, Mel Gibson had insisted on
adding that bit of make-up to the movie and the crew
went along with it.