indigo [was Re: [Sca-cooks] Puritans, was: Canadian Friends]

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Oct 8 12:24:46 PDT 2001

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com wrote:
>
> > Isn't Woad the blue stuff the Scottish berserkers put on their face to make
> > thiem hallucinate and become more aggressive in battle?
>
> Not that I know of, but it is the blue stuff the Picts (who lived in Caledonia or Scotland, as opposed to the Scotii, who came from Hibernia or Ireland)) painted themselves with to make themselves blue, mostly prior to the Middle Ages, as far as I know.

Thank you Master A, for saving me from the froth that was working up.

Braveheart was a good *movie*. However, as usual, it had little to do
with history. There were no Picts in Scotland c 1300 that I know of,
none of the Scots in the various battles fought by Wallace and or the
Bruce painted themselves blue (or mooned the English, so far as battle
accounts I've read say). And lest not start in about kilts...

OFC- what sort of foodstufs grow in Scotland besides sheep?

'Lainie