[Sca-cooks] scottish foodstuffs

Nanna Rognvaldardottir nanna at idunn.is
Wed Oct 10 02:32:52 PDT 2001

Adamantius wrote:

>Dickens, who,
> upon touring a country comparable in size to the entire continent of his
> birth,

But Dickens wasn't born on the continent, he was born in England ...

>apparently
> could find virtually nothing good to say about the place. At least
> Brillat-Savarin liked the turkeys.

Dunno about the place or the turkeys but he had some good things to say
about the people:

"But I may be pardoned if, on such a theme as the general character of the
American people, and the general character of their social system, as
presented to a stranger's eyes, I desire to express my own opinions in a few
words, before I bring these volumes to a close.

They are, by nature, frank, brave, cordial, hospitable, and affectionate.
Cultivation and refinement seem but to enhance their warmth of heart and
ardent enthusiasm; and it is the possession of these latter qualities in a
most remarkable degree which renders an educated American one of the most
endearing and most generous of friends. I never was so won upon as by this
class; never yielded up my full confidence and esteem so readily and
pleasurably as to them; never can make again, in half a year, so many
friends for whom I seem to entertain the regard of half a life."

Nanna