[Sca-cooks] Re: Scottish foodstuffs

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 10 07:12:08 PDT 2001

>Yup. That was me, and neener neener and yar boo sucks to Dickens, who,
>upon touring a country comparable in size to the entire continent of his
>birth, but which had not yet abandoned an admittedly shady business
>practice that had once been hugely common in his own country, apparently
>could find virtually nothing good to say about the place. At least
>Brillat-Savarin liked the turkeys.

I seem to remember that Dickens recanted after being served a dinner at
Delmonico's.  Saveur Magazine ran an article about Delmonico's a couple
years back, and presented a few recipes from that dinner: tomatoes a la
reine, whole poached salmon, spinach veloute, spring chickens in madeira
sauce, and maraschino savarin, among other things.  I made the savarin for a
party once, and hooboy was that good.  If somebody served me a dinner like
that, I'd take back whatever things they asked me to.  :-)

Vicente

It's great to be known, but it's even better to be known as strange.
-Takeshi Kaga