[Sca-cooks] Cream

Nicolas Steenhout vavroom at bmee.net
Thu Oct 11 15:13:42 PDT 2001

>OK, I'm going to ask a Stefan-style question: What is the difference
>between "heavy cream" and "whipping cream", and what other types
>of cream do you guys have?

Well...

You can whip heavy cream.  Some of the creams labeled "whipping cream" at
supermarkets contain additives that will help with the
whipping.  Personally, I'd rather have the non-additive ones.  Heavy cream
and/or whipping creams should be at about 35% fat matter.  Some of the
whipping creams with lots of additive are presented as "light" whipping
cream.  This, IM(not so)HO, sucks.

Half and Half is usually 'round 15% fat matter, most often used for coffee
and tea.

Table cream varies.  Some places sell table cream at 5-10% fat matter, some
places sell table cream as being closer to heavy cream.

I'd kill for cream skimmed off freshly "harvested" milk.  That rules.

In Europe, and *sometimes* around the US/Canada, you can also find double
cream, whish is thick as yoghurt.  Yummm.

Muiredach mac Loloig
Rokkehealden Shire
aka
Nicolas Steenhout