[Sca-cooks] some eel recipes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Oct 11 20:16:47 PDT 2001

Olwen replied to me with:
> >Someday, I want to find a source for some eels and try some of these. So
> >far, all I've been able to try is the eel in the cans.
> >--
> >THLord  Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
>
> I'm going to get some frozen from the Asian Market.  Have you checked at a
> local place like that Stefan?  Chirhart is supposed to be shooting over one
> or two 13th century German recipes to me.  Wish he'd get it done since cooks
> guild is this Sunday.

No, I haven't done any searching for eels yet. Too much procrastination,
I'm afraid. Someday...  There are several local places I will be trying,
including Asian markets where I see various fish on ice and Central
Market may be able to order it for me if they don't have it in stock.
For a while I was getting smoked fish there.

Master Chirhart, would you please send me the eel recipes when you
send them to Olwen? I'd like to add them to the eels-msg file.

Eels seem to have been a fairly commonly raised fish. They seem to
have raised them in mill ponds, much as we do these days with catfish.

I just looked it up, and "Food" by Waverly Root has a fair amount of
material on eels.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net