[Sca-cooks] Frumenty/Pottage recipes

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sat Oct 13 07:06:23 PDT 2001

I don't think I've ever seen any that were any like grain/meat pottages
thickened with egg (which is how I tend to think of frumenty, although
without the meat), but there are several recipes out there for
meat/veggie/grain potages.  [Oh, I take that back...there's that recipe
for Russian Greens on Cariadoc's website that has greens, meat, grain,
and egg white???]  I don't have much of a period cookbook library, so
when I wanted to make some period soups last month, I went digging
around in Stefan's Florilegium, and that's where I found these (in the
food-soup part).  I _think_ one of the sources mentioned in that file
was Markham, but I can't be sure (I haven't had nearly enough coffee
yet, and I've got a headache from hades at the moment).
At any rate, I'd check those two places for something more concrete and
helpful than my ramblings. <g>
--Maire