[Sca-cooks] Mamoul (was new gadget)

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Sun Oct 14 11:38:13 PDT 2001

At 01:14 PM 10/15/01 -0500,Terry Decker said something like:

>Semolina is wheat flour.  It is coarsely milled durum wheat usually with the
>bran remaining.  You can use regular flour anyplace you use semolina, but
>there is a diference in taste and texture.
>
>Bear

I did a search on "mamoul recipe", and came up with several hits.
One page was "Adventures in Armenian Cooking" (
http://www.cilicia.com/armo_cb_anoush.html#MAMOUL )

And using farina (which is bloody close to semolina), though this one adds
sugar to its dough.  Maybe exchange the sugar and vanilla for rosewater?
And they use a spoon as the molding object, but I can see how it would be
quite easy to use the carved mold instead.
Regards,
Maggie MacD.

MAMOUL -Akaby Yaylaian
(Nut filled cookie)
1 lb. sweet butter, melted
1 sm. box farina
½ cup water or milk
3 tbsp. sugar
½ tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
Filling:
1 cup nuts, finely chopped
¼ cup sugar
1 tbsp. butter
½ tsp. cinnamon
Mix melted butter with farina and let set overnight. In the morning, mix
water or milk together with sugar and vanilla. Combine all ingredients with
flour, kneading thoroughly. Shape pieces of dough into oval shaped serving
spoon, leveling dough evenly across top of spoon. Make a slight indentation
in center of dough. Place 1 teaspoon of filling into indentation. Gently
press dough around filling. Arrange on ungreased baking sheet, pinch with
fingers along seam on top of each mamoul. Bake in preheated 400F oven for
15-20 minutes. Remove from pan immediately. Cool to lukewarm and cover
generously with confectionery sugar, handling gently.
Makes 4 dozen