[Sca-cooks] Catering question.

Tara Sersen Boroson tsersen at nni.com
Mon Oct 15 12:33:55 PDT 2001

Ooh, interesting question!  I've never been to a feast done this way,
though I've heard of them; So, I can't give you tried and true advice.
But, this is what comes to mind.

Take them the recipes *well* in advance, and ask them to prepare a
sample meal for you.  If it's a large menu, you can have them do only
the more unusual or complicated items.  They shouldn't balk at that -
it's a common demand for wedding catering.  Most caterers won't charge
you for it, though some may charge you a normal meal price.

Make sure they have written instructions for anything you expect in
terms of service that may be different from normal wedding or conference
type catering.

If you have any requests from feast attendees for allergy
considerations, make sure they go to the chef in writing.  Make sure
that he and his staff understand that these are *allergies* and not
preferences, and to handle all food accordingly.

As Muiredach said, they probably won't allow one of your people into the
kitchen to actually *help*.  Even if they're not union, insurance
restrictions can get wierd.  But, they might allow someone in to
supervise and act as a resource if any staff member has questions.  It's
worth asking.  At the very least, make sure you assign a point person
who is familiar with all the recipes who can be grabbed from the crowd
and badgered if there are any questions or problems.

-Magdalena