[Sca-cooks] Marzipan creations, like onions...

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 17 07:06:03 PDT 2001

>In a message dated 10/16/01 10:13:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu writes:
>
> > You have checked out Olwen's website for photo's
> >  right?
> >  Johnna Holloway
>
>Yep. Beautiful art work. I won't be able to do that unless I do marzipan
>for
>like 10 years.
>
>Misha
>The non-artistic type when it comes to make an image

Misha you don't have to be artistic to do well in marzipan.  I usually get a
model, like I did with the capers.  I mixed the colours for probably about
30 or 40 minutes adding tiny amounts till I got the colour right.
Duplicating the actual thing is just copy-cat work.  The colour...that's the
trick.  Same with the shrimp.  I don't make each one.  I made a mold from a
frozen shrimp.  Brush the inside of the mold with some saunder and press in
plain ol marzipan.  Shape up with a tiny knife or fingernail and WA-LA!
Everyone's impressed.  Dead easy.

Olwen, who wished you lived just a little closer.
Are you coming up for TNT the weekend of the 26-28?  If you can catch a bus
I can catch you at the station.