[Sca-cooks] Marzipan creations, like onions...

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Oct 17 23:02:56 PDT 2001

Misha said:
> olwentheodd at hotmail.com writes:
> > Misha's Mission to Marzipan?  You've gone bonks havent' you.  Do you HAVE
> >  any marzipan?  Do you WANT some?  Address please.
> >  Olwen
>
> I have a recipe for Marzipan in a book called Fabulous Feasts:Medieval
> Cookery and Ceremony by Madeleine Cosman. I would LOVE some marzipan so I
> could taste it and get an idea of what it tastes and looks like before I
> *attempt* (yes, ATTEMPT) to do marzipan.

Uh oh. Misha, that book is good for the first section on information
about medieval food. From what I've been hearing here over the years,
do NOT use the recipes. A few are good, many are rather odd and
very few, if any, can be documented as period recipes. At least some
appear to have been made up by Cosman.

For more details on this, check the cookbooks-msg files in the
Florilegium.

For a bunch of the stuff that has been discussed here on this list
about marzipan, check this file in the FOOD-SWEETS section of the
Florilegium:
marzipan-msg      (53K) 10/10/01    Use of marzipan (almond paste) in sotelties.

You might also check these files, as I'm not sure I got all the stuff
in them about marzipan moved from them to the marzipan file:
sotelties-msg    (199K) 11/ 1/00    Sotelties and Warners - decorated food.
illusion-fds-msg  (86K)  1/18/01    Medieval illusion foods. Diguised food.

> Misha
> Who will haunt you with bad food if you try to poison me :)

Well, if you think these folks would be doing this with period methods,
and shouldn't Laurels be this way, check these files to know what
to be careful of:
poisons-art       (42K)  8/30/94    Medieval poisons and antidotes.
poisons-msg       (28K)  6/10/99    Medieval poisons.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net