[Sca-cooks] Marzipan creations, like onions...

Mike Macchione drkael at home.com
Thu Oct 18 09:53:16 PDT 2001

> Trust me Misha, opening a can of almond paste and mixing it with sugar and
> rosewater is SOOOOOO much easier than blanching and grinding almonds and
> THEN mixing with sugar and rosewater.  I do think the experience is worth
it
> though.
>
> Since I use 60 to 80 pounds of marzipan (at least) a year I would be
> grinding almonds in my spare time and my sleep if I did not use the cans.

I've been thinking about this all throughout this thread, and this thread
just prompted me to ask....  Just how common were marzipan subtleties in
period. As has been said, making it from scratch is a pain...  and I would
assume that would be using a food processor...And I know that sugar wasn't
as common as it is today.  would people in period want/be able to make large
or numerous marzipan pieces?  What sized things would they have made? and
for what occasions?

Kael