[Sca-cooks] Marzipan creations, like onions...

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Oct 19 06:31:27 PDT 2001

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Stefan li Rous wrote:
>
> > I've been thinking of trying some
> > marzipan things after all the comments here. Maybe this should be what
> > I start with.
> >
> > Is the sugar only for taste? Or does it affect the structure? I
> > wonder if Splenda or other artifical, granulated suger substitute
> > would work?
>

> I would think the sugar is more or less necessary for structure, to help in cohesion, which may be evidenced by the fact that while tastes and sugar usage for taste does seem to vary, the proportion of one part almonds to one part sugar rarely seems to [vary] in recipes. I dunno, though, maybe there's some kind of sugar substitute that would work better than Splenda.
>
> On the other hand, you can make some butt-kicking savory dishes with
> almond milk ; )
>
> Adamantius

I will be good and over the weekend I will post the recipes I have for
marzipan that use eggs. Usually the sugar, whether fondant or powdered, is
required for consistency--almond paste and rosewater by itself is just
sticky goo. I *think* there's at least one recipe that calls for
granulated rather than icing sugar, but it may require some variety of
cooking. I'll check. They are, incidentally, AFAIK, modern recipes, but
they will give you marzipan.

Margaret