[Sca-cooks] Dayboards

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Oct 19 09:11:26 PDT 2001

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> I'm wondering. Seriously. Among the folk on this list who are grasping my point, is it worth discussing Lion-Taming 101, or Elementary Self-Confidence for Cooks? I don't want to sound like one of those carnival-barking motivational speakers, don't wanna give no group hugs (well, maybe one) or gaze into any crystals, but I do think there's an element in the whole dayboard/cook situation that says that those who do the work are leaders of the community. So I ask you, is this worth getting into? Or am I simply a crazed, power-mad, peer in an apron?
>

> Adamantius

You *are* a crazed, power-mad peer in an apron. But that's ok, we like you
anyway. ;-)

How the cook and the feast menu are treated seems to be an inter-kingdom
anthro thing--in my barony, the event bid doesn't even have to have a full
contingent of staff, although the seneschal and the Baron and Baroness
like to see such advance planning. So, you might not necessarily know who
is going to be cooking, let alone what they are going to cook, until
after the bid. And then, it's primarily the cook who decides the menu.

For lunches, it depends. Here in Northshield most of the events I've been
to will have a feast, but lunch is offered (frequently as a fundraiser) by
some group or other (the baronial rapier fighters, the neighboring shire,
whatever). Some sites only allow their caterers to sell lunch. Or, no
lunch and you get a list of local restaurants when you sign in at the
gate.

Me, I don't have a problem telling the autocrat that if they want to
dictate the entire menu they can jolly well cook it themselves--if you ask
me to do the feast, that says you have faith in my abilities as cook
*including* my ability to plan an acceptable menu in keeping with the
theme of the event. If there's something in particular that you want to
show up--ask me, we'll talk.

But yes, Elementary Self-Confidence for Cooks is probably a good
thing. Not everybody has my attitude and extreme lack of tact. ;-)

Margaret