[Sca-cooks] compost

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Mon Oct 22 08:53:25 PDT 2001

Anne asked:
> OK, I keep hearing about compost... It obviously isn't what I mean when I
> use the word.
>
> So, what is it?

It is a mixture of various chopped, pickled vegetables. For more
information, and a number of recipes, check this file in the FOOD
section of the Florilegium:
compost-msg       (35K)  3/27/01    A pickled food of fruits and
vegetables.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/compost-msg.html

Master Adamantius said:
> Short of making a batch of parsley-root-only compost to be mixed at a
> later date with compost-sans-parsley-root, I'm wondering about storage.

It is my understanding from what has been said on this list, that
compost lends itself to a staged pickling process and I think this
may have been one of its strongpoints in period. Different vegetables
and fruits ripen at different times. The compost technqiue allows you
to first pickle what comes in first, in this case the parsley roots,
then when the next item ripens, that gets processed and added to the
same pickling compound in the same container. The same with the
next crop that ripens. Of course, this doesn't mean that some of
it can't be drawn out of the pickling container before the last
fruits or vegetables are added.

There is no reason to create two different pickled items and then
combine them with this method, resulting in some savings of effort.

Stefan li Rous