[Sca-cooks] Re: Request

Jessica Tiffin melisant at iafrica.com
Mon Oct 22 08:41:55 PDT 2001

I said, somewhat cryptically:
>> There's a good reason why I haven't volunteered to take part in
>> any cookie exchanges. :>
and Stefan asked:
>Why? Because of the cost? Or because the cookies would be stale before
>they got there?
The latter, although the former can be a problem at some stages in my
impecunious student existence... :> (i.e. when I'm between bursaries).
Airmail postage to the USA from here can take up to two weeks to arrive.
Not good for cookies.  At least not my favourite kinds.

>If the latter, please consider the other goodie exchange. You probably
>have a lot of interesting treats available that are unknown elsewhere
>and yet will not go stale over the long transit time.
Yes, but a lot of them involve dried meat (biltong and drie wors come to
mind - repectively beef jerky and a dried beef sausage) - that can get
tricky with postal regulations what with mad cows, Englishmen and the
mid-day sun... :>.  I know it's illegal to take biltong through customs, at
any rate.  Other than that... there's rooibos, which is a herbal tea made
from a local plant, drunk by millions not including me... (Earl Grey or
nothing!). Spices... the Cape Malay tradition here in Cape Town doesn't
really use anything not available elsewhere.  In terms of things like Tim
Tams or musk sweets, which seem to be the universal Australian currency, my
sense is that we basically have regional variations of the same sorts of
things available overseas.  Though if anyone has a particularly favourite
South African delicacy that will travel and is legal, by all means let me
know!  It's a bit difficult not knowing what _is_ available overseas,
there's quite possibly bunches of stuff that I take for granted and that
would be madly exotic to a non-South-African.

>By the way folks, Lady Jehanne has already exported some nifty items
>in the way of some articles which can be found in the Florilegium. Both
>food and non-food oriented ones.
Ah, yes, words, the universal export... :>.  I have lots of those.

JdH

Lady Jehanne de Huguenin (Jessica Tiffin) * Drachenwald Kingdom Chronicler
Shire of Adamastor, Cape Town, South Africa
melisant at iafrica.com ***  http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant
Sable, three owls rising argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.