[Sca-cooks] Birch beer? (Likely OOP)

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Mon Oct 22 15:30:47 PDT 2001

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa said:
> > > Any hints, idea or recipes for birch beer?
> >
> > I'm not sure if this beverage was proved to be period or not,
>
> "Birch Beer" brewed from the sap of the birch tree, which is highly
> alcoholic, is period. No clue about low-alcohol birch beer.

I was going to question the comment that birch beer was highly
alcoholic, since very few tree saps would seem to contain enough
sugar to create a highly alcoholic beverage. However, in checking
through my beverages-msg file I found the following message. This
both provides some evidence of birch beer being period as well as
clarifying the "high alcohol" comment. The addition of other
items containing sugar, such as honey would certainly increase the
ability to create a higher alcohol content beverage.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net