[Sca-cooks] (Fwd) <SCA-Caid> culinary quest

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 22 16:50:40 PDT 2001

On 22 Oct 2001, at 16:20, Irmele von Grunsberg wrote:

> Forwarded from Caid list.
> i am looking for help in finding the authenticity of a receipe for a
> barley and onion soup.  the person who originally gave me the receipe
> stated it was "12th century" but i am rather new at this sort of
> thing.  i have checked several online sources but to no avail.  any
> further suggestions would be most appreciated.  thank you muirenn
> ingen mhic mhartainn,  starkhafn MKA sam mc clellan

There was an article on Viking food in the Summer 2000 issue of
TI.  The author included some *plausible* recipes that she had
developed, based on historical and archaeologic evidence.  I believe
that one of the recipes was for barley soup.  I can't find that issue
of TI, but maybe someone else on the list can verify it.

If this is the recipe you were given, then it is not an actual 12th
century recipe, but one SCAdian's reconstruction of what 12th
century Norse folk might have eaten.

Hope this helps.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net