[Sca-cooks] "An Arab Mead" !!!

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 25 21:15:28 PDT 2001

On 25 Oct 2001, at 19:05, david friedman wrote:

> The latest T.I. has an article describing a recipe from an Arabic
> medicinal formulary which the author thinks is a mead or, more
> precisely, pyment.

The online version of the article links to another which cites the recipe from
al-Kindi in English translation, but with the section header included.
It is labelled "Syrups, electuaries, and others".
http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/elixirs.html
Electuaries are a category of sugar- or honey-based medicinal syrups.

Those who read French might want to look at the article on electuaries in
_Du manuscrit a la table_.  The article discusses three different types of
electuaries in Arab medicine.  I wish that the author of the TI article had
included the Arab name of the recipe.  It might have been helpful.

In any case, I see no particular reason why this recipe should be
interpreted as an alcoholic beverage.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net