[Sca-cooks] 13th Century Icelandic Fish Skin Tanning Techniques

Peter Ryan prism at primus.com.au
Thu Oct 25 22:17:41 PDT 2001

Evil Drakey! What have you got me into now? For those puzzled by the
esoteric nature of this field... it came about during an apres-Canton
meeting discussion. As marshal of the group, I decided that everyone had to
have a Laurel within 5 years, and that the best way to get a Laurel was to
research a new field. When pressed as to what field of endeavour I was to
embark upon I replied, "13th century Icelandic fish skin tanning". problem
was that I knew, deep down in the recesses of my failing memory, that fish
skins could be tanned, and seemed to recall it being mentioned i some text
or other. So, I guess it can't hurt to try it (unless the neighbours
complain about the odours of said process taking place scant metres away
from their back yards).

However, I also note that the first person to reply is from Settmour Swamp,
which was my lady's group when she played (many years ago) in the East
Kingdom (yes, she's a Joisee goil), and the primary reason I s*bscribed to
this list is to glean cooking stuphs, as She Who Must Be Obeyed is quite the
scintillating feastocrat, and I have been known to stir the ocassional pot.
To avoid using cliches like the plague, small world!

Gwynfor Lwyd OP, OLM, AA, PsC, OST etc
Canton of Krae Glas, Barony of Stormhold,
Principality of Lochac, West Kingdom