[Sca-cooks] Pheasants

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Oct 26 14:16:35 PDT 2001

I hate to say it but we used to have pheasant
every once in awhile.
My Grandmother even attempted to pass it off as
"chicken". She fried it up just like chicken and
intermingled the pieces with a real chicken at a
Sunday dinner. We were not amused about Grandma
'Cille's funny chicken.
My mother tended to roast it for my dad if I
remember correctly. They weren't that big once
they were cleaned and if there was shotgun shell
damage that meant that you lost even more.

There's a nice sounding recipe in The Cooks
Illustrated Complete Guide to Poultry that
combines pheasant with wild rice and pecans
for roasting. Cook the wild rice and combine
it with pecans for the side dish. The pheasant
is roasted with a small onion, rosemary, garlic,
and some butter in the cavity.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway