[Sca-cooks] Laurel issues and contests was: 13th Century Icelandic Fish Skin Tanning Techniques

Peter Ryan prism at primus.com.au
Sat Oct 27 23:07:55 PDT 2001

One of the roles of a peer (and one would be well advised not to get me
started on this topic! lol) is to seek out those who are doing work, may
only need a bit of direction, and to facilitate admission of new candidates.
Peerage Council's should not be an exclusive club (I'm in, so no-one else
should be allowed to join). The peerage should signal the start of the real
work. You have been recognised for the work you have done, and the person
you are. The thing is that after one is made a peer you have that to live up
to, as well as continuing your work. A peerage is a recognition, not an
award.

I can't really speak for Laurels, except in general terms, as I'm not one.
However, I know that, as a Pelican in a Principality (soon to be kingdom)
that is the size of the lower 48 it is difficult to know exactly what people
are doing at the other end of the country. What I can say is that Royalty
and the Peerage Councils spend a lot of time and energy begging for
recommendations and information on folk doing good works. If you know of
someone deserving of recognition, whether it be for a Baronial Award, an AoA
or a peerage, take the time to write to your Royalty and your Peerage Order
Clerks/Principals and let them know about these people.

For mine, competitions and the like pale into insignificance next to
research, teaching and encouragement. With access to A&S newsletters,
Universities, the web, email etc one doesn't have to be geographically
proximate to teach, assist, encourage and communicate one's love, and
knowledge, of a field of learning. Witness the discourse on fish skin
tanning. The only problem is that, with the information I now have to hand I
am fast running out of excuses not to actually attempt the craft (other than
being pretty much flat out doing every thing else I do).

Gwynfor Lwyd OP, OLM, AA, PsC, OST etc
Canton of Krae Glas, Barony of Stormhold,
Principality of Lochac, West Kingdom