[Sca-cooks] celtic// beignet

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Oct 28 19:11:43 PST 2001

The Americxan Heritage 3rd online gives
a supplemental note that reads under
beignet
Etymology:
French [fritter] [of Celtic origin] New Orleans, Louisiana,
 has been a rich contributor of French loan words and local
expressions to American English. One variety of speech
in this city is so distinctive that it has a name: yat.
Many of the words, such as beignet, café au lait, faubourg,
lagniappe, and krewe, reflect the
and culture characterizing this city and much of southern
Louisiana. Other words reflect distinctive physical
characteristics of the city:
banquette, a raised sidewalk, and camelback and shotgun,
distinctive architectural styles found among New Orleans houses.

Fritter is given as Etymology:
Middle English friture from Old French from Late Latin
frictura from Latin frictus; past participle of frigere [to roast, fry]

So now we have beignet as reflecting New World French cuisine...
I am beginning to think that the source to look at would be
DARE or Dictionary of American Regional English which will
require a trip into town and central campus.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis