[Sca-cooks] herbal question

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 30 11:10:05 PST 2001

>Ted Eisenstein wrote:

>>I've gotten a steam inhaler for the occasional sinus-clearing thang?
>>And I'm wondering if there are any essences of <herb> that would
>>penetrate said sinuses better than just pure steam, that I could add to
>>the water?

>>Are there good sources out there that list which herbs and decoctions
>>thereof are good for which imbalances of the humors? And how does
>>one do a proper decoction, anyway? (Errr, no, not tea-type things. I'm
>>looking for essences, I guess, the ones that are closer to >>alcohol than
>>simple herbs-steeped-in-water-for-eons. No, wait, not steeped in alcohol,
>>although those would be spiff, but the ones that are pure essence, which
>>means,
>>I guess, proper distillation of Essence of <Whatever>. I think. Does
>>anyone
>>have the slightest idea of what I'm talking about? I sure don't, for
>>once.)
>>
>>Questions. I have questions.
>>
>>Alban, sniffing away in Calontir
>

>I've seen dried eucalyptus leaves available in some of the Latino markets,
>sold alongside the spices and looking more than a bit like bay leaves, but
>you are apparently supposed to boil or distill them. You might try adding
>some of those to your steamer.
>

>Adamantius

Actually at the pharmacy you can buy eucalyptus oil, bergamont oil, etc.  It
is a good source for stuff like that.  It is all pharmacy grade so even the
rosewater you can use in food.  Plus, buying the oils and waters there is
usually cheaper than the health food or other types of stores.  Ask for a
list the next time your in.  You might be surprized what you can get there.
Olwen