Marrow, was: [Sca-cooks] Meat preservation

Dana Huffman letrada at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 30 17:48:33 PST 2001

OK, I know what marrow is (vague memory of some book in
which a character had it for dessert) and I can probably
find a source for it in the quantities I'm likely to use
(i.e. not much).  But, how do you cook it?  Does it melt
when cooked, like fat, or does it have to be chopped up?
Is it ever eatten raw?  Does it matter what animal it came
from?  Can it be frozen?  What else is there I should know,
or might find interesting, about it?

The couple of times I've had Lombardy custard I loved it,
so I'd like to try making it sometime, but this little
detail has always been a little daunting to me.  And there
are probably other recipes where such knowledge will come
in handy...

Dana/Ximena

--- Michael Gunter <countgunthar at hotmail.com> wrote:
> My redaction based on Cindy's.
>
> 1 9" deep dish pie shell
> 1 1/2 cup diced prunes
> 1/4 cup diced dates
> 1/2 Tablespoon cooked marrow
> 1/2 Tablespoon butter
> 1 cup heavy cream
> 2 eggs
> Sugar
> dash of salt

=====
She takes us wanderers under her wing; sings us songs 'til the coming of the spring
Lifts our souls far into the night; fills our dreams with endless delight
...Angel of Darkness, Angel of Mercy, take away the sorrow, take away the pain.
     (Angel of Bells -- J. Lapidus)
What to do about Afghanistan?  For one idea, see: http://rawa.fancymarketing.net/index.html