[Sca-cooks] A little diversion

Michael Newton melcnewt at netins.net
Tue Oct 30 19:49:06 PST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sue Clemenger" <mooncat at in-tch.com>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 9:09 PM
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] A little diversion

> Maire catches up on old emails:
>
> Vincent Cuenca wrote:
> >
> > In a fit of boredom I came up with the following food geek quiz.  I
know,
> > it's sorta off topic, but not nearly as bad as the pirate name one.  :-)
> >
> > Are you a food geek?
> >
> > Take the following test and determine your personal level of culinary
> > geekdom.
> >
> > Do you, or Have you ever:
> >
> > 1. Lectured complete strangers on the uses of unfamiliar foodstuffs?
          NO I am quite shy when it comes to that but the Wife will if
someone asks.
> > 2. Know what "rocket" is?
My cats do that also and before the quiz No I didn't know it was a lettuce.
> > 3. Sneered at the lazy yuppie scum who buy premade polenta at the
> > supermarket?
No I sneer at Lazy yuppies because they are lazy.
> > 4. Grown your own herbs?
 We grew Basil and SAGE in a large Cask when we owned a house.
> > 5. Grown your own vegetables?
Tried that one year but the weeds got out of hand. Grandma did though when I
was Child.
> > 6. Grown your own wheat?
That is what Kansas is for.
> > 7. Foregone buying ice cream because the soup bones have taken over your
> > freezer?
Freezer is too small for either.
> > 8. Made your own demi-glace?
What is demi-glace?.
> > 9. Own five mortars and pestles, but can't find your pepper mill?
Two mortars No pepper mill.
> > 10. Consider your mother a heretic for buying premade pie crusts?
Mom was a institutional Cook, Premade Pies were the norm.
> > 11. Subscribe to seven cooking magazines but mooch newspapers from your
> > coworkers?
One cooking Magazine and the library is just around the corner for the
newspaper as well as USA today online.
> > 12. Stayed up late reading Escoffier, Brillat-Savarin, or Julia Child?
Not unless I am desperate.

Say to yourself, "I can cook better than this" at a trendy restaurant?
Trendy Restaurants are once a year treat. So No. We live in a 1555 person
town.

> > 14. Know the difference between a china cap and a chinoise?
            NO
> > 15. Fantasize about meeting Charles Ranhofer, James Beard, or Martino da
> > Como?
           NO Caprial Pence though.
> > 16. Brag about your 10-inch Dick?
No Quality knife but we have a Kitchen Aid!
> > 17. Know what the last question was about, you vulgar little creature,
you?
Yes And Ras's Testicles too.
> > 18. Have a special carrying case for your knives, sharpening steel,
> > whetstone, and knife oil?
No
> > 19. Spend hours in the "Used Equipment" section of the restaurant supply
> > store?
       Hours in any kind of Kitchen store is a adventure.
> > 20. Kept a sourdough starter alive for more than two months?
NOT Personally..

Gee I suck I scored a ONE

Thorbjorn

---