[Sca-cooks] macaroni and cheese

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Wed Oct 31 17:54:35 PST 2001

In a message dated 10/31/2001 11:32:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mark.s.harris at motorola.com writes:

> I know the cheese sauce is more than cheese, maybe milk and
> cheese? Anyway, does anyone have a good, EASY, recipe for Macaroni
> and Cheese using the standard elbow macaroni that I could give my
> wife? Or make for myself, for that matter?

A recipe for mac and cheese???  Well, the way my mom taught me doesn't use a
sauce anyway.  Nor any amounts :-)

Boil up as much macaroni as you want (or as will fit in the size baking dish
you want to use.  After 15 years cooking on my own I still usually make too
much macaroni).  Drain it and rinse it with cold water.
Spray your baking dish (pyrex or whatever) with nonstick spray. Put a layer
of mac down, dot with butter/margarine, and cover with grated cheddar cheese
- white, and as sharp as you can get it, not that yellow mild cheddar junk.
Repeat until the dish is full, finishing off with a cheese layer.  Pour a
little milk over the top - no more than enough to rise about 1/4 of the way
up the sides of the pan (easiest if you use a glass pan, so you can see).
Stick in a preheated 350 degree oven until the cheese on top starts to brown.
 Let stand a few minutes after removing from the oven, then dish up.
Variant - include a layer or two of ground beef browned with seasoned salt
(Lawry's for choice) and lemon pepper, drained, of course.  I like this so
much I used to ask for it for birthday dinners.

Want to make scalloped potatos?  Substitute raw peeled and sliced potatos for
the macaroni, and add generous amounts of finely chopped onion in between the
potatos and the butter.  Yumm.

Brangwayna Morgan
a "good plain cooking" sort of girl