[Sca-cooks] Re: Marrow

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Oct 31 21:12:30 PST 2001

Dana/Ximena asked:
> OK, I know what marrow is (vague memory of some book in
> which a character had it for dessert) and I can probably
> find a source for it in the quantities I'm likely to use
> (i.e. not much).  But, how do you cook it?  Does it melt
> when cooked, like fat, or does it have to be chopped up?
> Is it ever eatten raw?  Does it matter what animal it came
> from?  Can it be frozen?  What else is there I should know,
> or might find interesting, about it?

We have discussed marrow here off and on in the past. I'm not sure if
all your questions are answered, but you might want to take a look at
this file in the FOOD section of the Florilegium:
marrow-msg        (18K)  2/ 3/99    Getting bone marrow. Recipes with marrow.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/marrow-msg.html
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net