[Sca-cooks] New Cheese

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sat Sep 1 04:50:20 PDT 2001

In a message dated 8/31/2001 2:26:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
chirhart_1 at netzero.net writes:

> Chirhart adds:Yes you can but you will need to add calcium chloride.Add 1/4
> tsp. for every two gal.of milk
> >
> > On the subject, since I managed to miss the cheesemaking classes at
> > Pennsic--can I make decent cheese with pasteurized, homogenized milk, or
> > should I search out a source of raw milk?

Hmm.  I made perfectly good cheese from Pennsic milk and lemon juice, and
have done it at home several times since using pasteurized homogenized milk
and various vinegars or lemon juice, with never a drop of calcium chloride
anywhere near it.  Heck, I don't even know where to get the stuff!  I don't
know what it does with the cheese, but you certainly do not need to add it to
make cheese.

Brangwayna Morgan