[Sca-cooks] Feast Horror Stories was Personal Iron Chef Challenge

Sandragood at aol.com Sandragood at aol.com
Sat Sep 1 21:15:48 PDT 2001

My favorite disaster story is also my biggest motivation.  I took someone's
biggest disaster and turned it into one of my biggest successes.

A feastcrat served salted meat that was totally inedible.  It might as well
have been used as a salt lick for camels.  A lady across the table from me
said she had never had salted meat served at feast that was edible and in her
opinion just couldn't be done.  To me this was a challenge because I love
"corned beef" which is in essence salted beef.  Obviously the feastcrat was
not used to the technique required for cooking true salted meats.  I have
cooked corned beef all my adult life and knew it could be done, you just need
to know what you are doing.  I did my research, found a period technique for
salting (my hubby even bought me a true 8 gallon crock), found recipes
dealing with salted meats, and served my "salted beef" as part of the first
feast I ever cooked.  It was probably the biggest hit of the feast.

I took the challenge a few steps further and have done some research into
period food preservation techniques.  I am beginning to expand into the use
of spices.

Liz