[Sca-cooks] peppercorns and black salt

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Sep 2 01:00:03 PDT 2001

As mentioned in another message, while at one of my local Mediterranean
stores today, I bought some bottles of peppercorns.
1) Pink peppercorns in water, vinegar and salt
2) Green peppercorns in brine (water and salt)

I've always gotten the whole dried peppercorns before or the ground ones,
how would I use these pickled/brined ones? Are there particular dishes
where these would be better used than the dried ones?

When would you use green peppercorns instead of the black or white
ones? When would you want to use the pink ones? The pink ones are
a different plant that the ones that the green, black and white
ones come from. Were the pink peppercorns known in period Europe?

Were brined/pickled peppercorns available/used in period Europe?

I also bought a small packet of "black salt". Actually it is more
of a pale pink color. I think I've heard this mentioned here before.
What exactly is it? Is it period? and how should I best use it?
--
THL Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net