[Sca-cooks] apple cider

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Sep 2 22:01:07 PDT 2001

Estrella asked:
> Second question, is apple cider period?  How about
> hard cider?

Yes and yes. However in period these would have been the same thing.
Without refrigeration there is almost no way to keep the fresh cider
from becoming alcoholic. There was an interesting story on this list
when someone (Morgana?) noticed the fresh cider in the jugs in the
store was doing a nice job of fermenting and proceeded to buy a number
of jugs along with another lady who happened to notice the apple juice
bubbling and realized why.

Some folks have had good luck in brewing cider. I have not but I learned
a lot of stuff on brewing cider the last time it came up here. Maybe
someday I will try again. At least now I know where I can buy freshly
squeezed, unpasturized apple juice.

For more info on cider, check these files in the BEVERAGES section
of the Florilegium:
cider-art         (23K) 10/31/95    Article on brewing ciders.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/cider-art.html
cider-msg         (63K)  5/19/00    Apple and other ciders. Cider presses.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/cider-msg.html

As I mentioned in another recent message about cherries, cider is made
from apples, but perry is made from pears in a similar process. For more
on this see:
perry-msg          (9K)  8/24/99    A cider made with pear juice.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/perry-msg.html
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net