[Sca-cooks] cyclic discussions

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Sep 3 00:12:39 PDT 2001

Johnna said about two weeks ago:
> As to the rotting food question, I know that it's been around in the
> SCA since we began and in medieval academic circles for decades... but
> I feel old enough already without going into all that past history...
> so I just referred to the most recent threads... It will come up again
> in about six months... and then a new SCA generation will have to
> reinvent
> the wheel yet again in what about 3-4-5 years. sigh sigh sigh

Well, not to make too big a deal about it, that was one of the reasons
I started the Rialto files (which morphed into the Florilegium) eleven
years ago. I hoped that with a place to go find out some of this stuff,
we could stop recycling the same discussions over and over again, and
perhaps the experts could spend more time researching new stuff and not
explaining the same things over and over. The experts wouldn't get tired
of explaining the same things over and over again and perhaps quit and
we would all benefit by not having to start at the ground level each
time we wanted to investigate something new.

Of course, sometimes when a discussion comes up again, since there
are often new people on the list or some new research has been done,
we all do learn some new things about an old subject.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net