SCA as a different 'reality' (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Responsibilities)

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 4 19:45:47 PDT 2001

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
<<<I don't understand how people can use statements about the SCA vs. 'real life'. It sounds to as if they are saying that everything outside the SCA in people's lives is more important than committments made in the SCA. The distinction between 'sca life' and 'real life' is about as useful as a distinction between 'church life' and 'real life'.  >>>>>>

I'm thinking that a more apt anology is 'sca life' and a bowling league.  While many people are vehement about their participation in the SCA hobby life, it does seem to occupy a different slot on the heirarchy of spiritual existance than participating in a church/synagogue/temple.  The distinction, agreed, has some limitations as it is presented; and needs a way to express the need to maintain regular contact with the physical and rational planes of existance and maintain perspective lest one develop a diagnosable personality disorder (happens all too often).

In churches, we are not encouraged to pretend we are existing in a different time/space intersection (can stress elements of personality and character that don't normally get stretched very far) . . . there is generally a direct espousement of family value in church structure that is missing from the governing documents of the SCA, Inc  . . . there is generally a social aceptance of the activities and membership  in a church congregation (generally and not always) that our SCA hobby group does not enjoy in communities at large . . . there is a different spectrum of diversity of many elements of people/personalities in the larger church groups than one would find in a local chapter or even Kingdom of the SCA.

Being a member of the SCA and reinactment type groups, I suggest, requires a differnet set of ethics and character than in other groups types we may encouter.  The structure is such that it encourages members to develop a fantastical image of themselves that can easily blur the boundaries of who they really are.  It requires a strength of vision and character to delve into that fantasy to live it fully when involved in the activities of the hobby group, and then remove one's awareness back to the rest of one's life.  VERY different worlds when you consider that a man who sits the throne of Caid cannot deal with his family, boss and co-workers in the same way he can deal with SCA 'subjects'.  Very different worlds to have to cohabitate in and maintain one's sanity and emotional timbre.  there can be overlap of values, activities and beliefs that can be managed well or poorly.  ANNECDOTE:  no married couple has sat the thrones together of a certain Barony and had their marriage !
!
survive the reign.

niccolo