[Sca-cooks] a grain question- probably OOP

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Sep 5 01:02:55 PDT 2001

Hi there!

Does anyone know what is 'kaffircorn'?

The context- I'm working my way through a bunch of family records trying
to document a picture I recently got, and at the moment, I'm reading
through my Great-Grandfather's diary. He was a farmer and Mennonite
Pastor, having come to the US from Russia (the family is German though-
long story). They later went to Canada, but where I'm reading now it's
1897 and they are in Oklahoma. The diary entries are fascinating (I
already read how he built the sod house) though terse and rather sad
sometimes (many, many deaths, especially children). But I have noticed
that he keeps talking about this kaffircorn that he picks, and I'm not
familiar with the term. And what is 'stooking'? it's something they do
to corn...

A chuckle- fussing because his wife went along into town and blew $2 on
a new corset. Such luxury! ;-) But then when your wheat goes for $.71 a
bushel and the crop fetches $21.06, I suppose two bucks is a pretty big
thing...

'Lainie