[Sca-cooks] Chinese Road Map

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Sep 5 23:06:18 PDT 2001

Adamantius said back on August 15:
> The first rule to remember is that the regional styles you mention above
> are _not_ (and I mean almost never!) properly characterized by dish
> names or regional appelations in American (or other countries') Chinese
> restaurants. Szechuan food, for example, is frequently spicy, but often
> surprisingly subtle, and overall uses fewer chilies than Hunan food does.

> For example, the cuisine of Toysan, where my wife's ancestors come from,
> has some similarities to that of Guangdong (a.k.a. Cantonese food), and
> that of Hong Kong, but when placed side-by-side they're pretty well
> distinct from each other.

> There used to be several Toysanese restaurants in New York, but they're
> all gone now, as far as I know. Except for my house in late January,
> early February ;  )

Thank you for this explanation. I had wondered when you were detailing
all those wonderful food dishes around the Chinese New Year, why
although they sounded absolutely wonderful (well, most of them anyway),
I never recognised anything as something I'd eaten at a 'Chinese'
resturant. Now I can see why.
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net