[Sca-cooks] re: Period utensils

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 6 10:40:39 PDT 2001

> > Thanks for the references- not really what I meant, though.  More a
>matter
> > of What do y'all need?  Pipkins? Clay griddles/frypans? Unglazed jugs?
> > Culinary molds of specific size/type/shapes?  :)  Among other things, I
> > hope
> > to learn more about exactly how the utensils are used- "form follows
> > function", so the more I know about cooking techniques, the better my
>pots
> > will work.

Oh, let's see here... unglazed jugs are good.  Pipkins that can stand freely
in a fire and not be damaged by prolonged exposure to heat.  The Chinese
sand pot that was described is useful as well.  A similar thing would be a
Spanish olla.  The sides are higher and they taper slightly towards the rim,
but they fulfil the same function. Another good thing is the cazuela.  Think
clay frying pan, glazed on the inside but not on the outside, with sloping
walls. Used for cooking over moderate heat.  You could also come up with
measuring cups in ratls and uqiyas and azumbres. :-)

Vicente