[Sca-cooks] pickled lemons

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Thu Sep 6 20:10:43 PDT 2001

This question was asked on the Calontir list; forwarded with
permission, because I thought there are more of you who might
be able to answer:

........text begins.......

i have often heard that the Scandinavians made and ate pickled lemons (an
absolute horrid thing IMO) on long voyages across the sea to prevent Scurvy
(sp?), ie the lemons provided the vitamin C (i think, possibly others)
needed to fight of the affliction.

I remember at some event that someone in Calontir made pickled lemons for a
competition (KA&S maybe) and was wondering if anyone knew/remembered this
project or the person that did it.

 Ive heard the story of picked lemons to prevent
Scurvy many times but have never actually followed up on the idea and was
wondering if anyone knew off the top of there heads if it was true or an
"urban legend"