[Sca-cooks] Disturbing item from the CIA

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Sep 10 09:54:33 PDT 2001

In a message dated 8/29/01 11:43:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
countgunthar at hotmail.com writes:

<< I would have hoped an institution as respected as
 the CIA would have better information.

 Ah well.

 Gunthar >>

Most, if not all, professional cooking schools spend little or no time on
pre-modern cookery. What time they do spend is often filled with
misrepresentation, and little fact. The 'rotten meat/spices' lie is one of
the biggies. Another one is that the peasant population lived on little more
than gruel. I have offered to freely teach a course on Medieval cookery at
our local culinary school specifically geared toward debunking the errors
that are taught concerning period foods and cookery. While I was thanked
profusely for the offer, it was rejected because such information is
'irrelevant' to the purpose of the course. Apparently accurate culinary
history is of little or no importance in producing a supposedly trained chef.

Ras