[Sca-cooks] forming new SCA groups

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Wed Sep 12 15:49:20 PDT 2001

Glenn said:
> >try to find 4 other people in your area who are interested in the >SCA and
> >start your own group!  That's what we did when we found ourselves in
> >asimilar position.  Kiri
>
> Thanks for the information that is very helpful.
> How do you do something like that?

Well, the basic procedure and some suggestions on how to do this
can be found in this file in the SCA-INC section of the Florilegium:
new-groups-msg    (18K)  7/17/96    Procedures and advice on starting
new SCA
                                       groups.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/new-groups-msg.html

However, the minimum number is just that - the legal minimum. From
what I've seen forming a group with too few people can easily
lead to burn-out. Of course, that can also be helped by extensive
recruiting and becoming a bigger group with more people to draw
from.
recruitment-msg   (43K)  5/18/00    Recruitment ideas. bringing in new
members.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/recruitment-msg.html

Sometimes a better solution is to form a household, an unofficial
group in the SCA. These can often provide the supporting
framework needed and help share the load without requiring the
organisational overhead of being an official group. However, they
can sometimes be more subject to catastropic politics than
organised groups.
households-msg    (41K)  7/20/00    Comments on households in the SCA.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/households-msg.html

Stefan li Rous