[Sca-cooks] My earlier reference to Father Mychal Judge

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Sep 15 08:40:24 PDT 2001

Hullo, the list!

I see that the 24-hour coverage of this attack and its aftermath has
just included coverage of the funeral mass for Father Mychal Judge, the
chaplain of the NYC Fire Department, considered the first fireman
confirmed to lose his life in this tragedy.

All right, I finally lost it.

The mass concluded with the celebrant's request that everyone present
join in blessing the spirit of the deceased, and somehow this turned
into a standing ovation, along with a truly heartfelt cheer of joy from
what looked to me like thousands of priests, firemen, and other
citizens, for the chance to have known this man. A firefighter leaving
the church told a news reporter that God had just given us a gift, first
of all for this man's life, and second for the chance for all of us to
carry his spirit with us.

I guess this is why they call a funeral mass a sacrament, huh?

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com