[Sca-cooks] Platina on the Raw and the Cooked

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Sep 16 18:01:25 PDT 2001

Ok, so I was sick in bed yesterday and went through my copy of Milham's
translation of Platina for references to uncooked fruit and veggies.

Of sweet cherries, he says: "If they are eaten in the morning, fresh and
with their pits, they move the urine and the bowels" p. 18

Of Melons he says "For this reason some mix in pennyroyal and onion wiht
vinegar so that its natural force of cold is tempered, but when melon is
served with the rind removed and the seeds thrown away, it soothes the
stomach and gently softens the bowels." There is no mention in this entry
to cooking melons. p. 19

On cucumbers, he says "The two previous varies are eaten cut up in pieces
with salt, oil and vinegar, once the rind has been removed and the seeds
dug out. Some sprinkle spices on them after they have been cut up in
pieces to repress their chill." (again, no mention of any method of
cooking. P. 20

Figs: "Fresh figs, especially ripe ones, do not do much harm..." p. 22
(though note that we still don't know that fresh means uncooked)

Grapes: "It is agreed by all authors that figs and well-matured grapes are
less unhealthy than other fruits whic are eaten raw, and eaten as a first
course, they cause almost no harm." p. 27 (Many things are listed as first
course items but it isn't indicated whether Platina wants them cooked or
not.)

Quinces: "raw and ripe quinces are given with advantage to those with
dysentery, or who are choleric, or who are spitting blood." p. 30

Citron (what is this, specifically?): "Some eat citron cut up in cubes
with salt, oil and vinegar." p. 31

Of dates, he indicates to remove the membrane and pit but does not say how
to cook them on p. 32.

Of fennel: "we use this vegetable both raw and cooked" p. 57

Anise: "both raw and cooked anise are among the few things praise by
Pythagoras" p. 58

BLINK: 'apium' which Milham indicats as Parsley, is now botanically the
name of celery/smallage/celeriac

Petroselium, which comes up under 'On Rock Parsley' is the modern
botanical name for parsley.

I'm confused!

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa