[Sca-cooks] New member intro.

phoenissa at netscape.net phoenissa at netscape.net
Tue Sep 18 00:30:51 PDT 2001

Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:

>Well, if I may... You might be interested in these files in the Florilegium:
>In the FOOD-MEAT section:
>rabbit-dishes-msg (44K)  6/29/01    Period rabbit and hare recipes.
>http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/rabbit-dishes-msg.html
>
>And in the ANIMALS section:
>rabbits-msg       (20K)  1/17/00    Medieval rabbits. As pets and food.
>http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/rabbits-msg.html

Oh, boy...and I even found out last week that there are two grocery stores in my area that carry rabbit.  This could get interesting ;)

>You might also find these files useful.
>In the FOOD-BOOKS section:
>merch-cookbks-msg (10K)  8/31/99    Merchants selling period cookbooks.
>http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/merch-cookbks-msg.html
>online-ckbks-msg  (23K)  4/11/01    Online versions of period cookbooks.
>http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/online-ckbks-msg.html
>  (I've got a bunch more to add to this file)
>
>There are also some cookbook reviews and annotated bibliographies in this
>section. They might help you know the good ones from the bad ones
>before you spend money on them.

I was actually looking through the Florilegium files yesterday for bibliographies of period Italian manuscripts, as well as modern books on the history of Italian cooking...found quite a bit of useful stuff there!  I don't think I mentioned it in my intro, but my period and place of interest is late-16thc. Florence.  I know that Scappi's "Opera" is right around that period (1570?), but since it was published in Venice, I assume the recipes in it differ slightly from Tuscan cooking.  (Since Florence and Venice were practically separate nations, I imagine that their cuisine differed as much as did their dialects, architecture, artwork, and fashion.)  I *think* Martino was Florentine - please correct me if I'm wrong - but he's still a full century earlier than my period of interest.  Does anyone know of a Tuscan cooking manuscript from the late 1500's?  (Untranslated is ok.)

>I hope this helps.
>
>Stefan
>(Not one of the quiet ones on this list)

Thank you, Lord Stefan!  (quiet?  what's the fun in that? <g>)

Vittoria