[Sca-cooks] OT Authenticity Police: since we're castigating extremists anyway...

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Mon Sep 17 06:25:26 PDT 2001

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:54:45 -0400 Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com>
writes:
>The writer describes them accurately in concept, but would
>have us believe they're quite common in all living-history/re-enactment
>groups.

    Doing both SCA and Living History, I can assure you they are endemic
to both sets of people.  At the first living history thing I did, the
tabby-woven silk on a garment was judged at about the "three-foot" rule
to be polyester blanket binding--no one asked me what it really was.  I
was harassed about my glasses, after being assured before hand glasses
were ok--Vikings didn't have the pince-nez somewhat common in the later
Middle Ages.

     I was *much* more kindly received 16 years earlier in the SCA, and
have become 'rabid' on the subject of criticism being offered only when
it's wanted and in such a way that the person does not feel 'criticized'!

     Elizabeth