[Sca-cooks] OT Authenticity Police: since we're castigating

upsxdls_osu at ionet.net upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Tue Sep 18 11:08:14 PDT 2001

Well, you've hit one of MY buttons with this.

I'm a seamstress for our local group, and often help newcomers with beginner
garb.  Two young men asked me about making garb.  One was a Civil War Reenactor
as well as playing in the SCA.  The other young man had no experience with the
SCA.

As they are both college students, I invited them over for dinner one night to
discuss what garb they wanted.  Since I frequently visit the $1 per yard rack,
and college students are perpetually in debt, I offered to make garb from
fabric on hand.

Our Civil War Reenactor said he didn't need any garb, he planned to buy some
linen shirts from another seamstress.  OK. The other young man was happy with
some of the inexpensive fabric I had on hand.  Unfortunately Mr. Authenticity
poo-pooed every bit of fabric as "not period."  After listening to this for
awhile, I gently took him aside and explained my theory on periodicity. I garb
up newcomers. I want to encourage young people to get involved.  I help by
providing inexpensive garb. So what if it isn't 100% linen, it's unbleached
cotton muslin (usually) for t-tunics and something heavier for trews. Sorry,
there is usually some polyester in the trews fabric.

I then politely asked him to stop making period comments about garb I make. The
next time the two young gentlemen came over, I again fixed dinner.  I had
finished some garb for #2.  He was trying it on for the final fitting.  Mr.
Authenticity turned to me and deliberately asked, "What period is that from?"

I not-so-gently told him he did not need to be deliberately rude, and until he
could apologize to me, he was not welcome in my home.  He hasn't apologized. He
has not been invited back. He asked me to do some mending for him and I
politely refused. He doesn't speak to me at events, although I address him
cordially each time our paths cross.

Since this happened, young man #2 has earned his AoA and learned to sew from
me. Together we garb up newcomers. At a recent event, I counted over six young
people wearing garb I sewed. I guess the proof is in the pudding.

Lady Liadan