[Sca-cooks] Authenticity Police: since we're castigating extremists > anyway..

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Sep 18 23:21:46 PDT 2001

Kiri said:
> I do know that plain gold chains (not gold chains holding up some sort of pendant or
> medallion), gold spurs and white belts (all white, not white and a bunch of other
> colors as you described) are reserved on a corporate level to the Chivalry, just as
> the Pelican in her piety is reserved to the Order of the Pelican and the green laurel
> wreath on a gold field is reserved to the Order of the Laurel.

Correct. When I first joined the SCA, I made a belt out of reddish-brown
leather. If you've seen me, you've probably seen me wearing it. I got a
lot of flak for insinuating that I was a squire. Now, I'm a grouchy old
man and I've been in long enough, that I would tell that individual(s)
that squire is not a rank, but a relationship and that red belts were
not reserved. And they could take it and shove it and if they didn't
get going elsewhere, I ... never mind.

> The only other
> society-wide sumptuary restrictions are for hats...6 pearls for barons, 15 (I think)
> for viscounts, crenelated for counts and strawberry leaves for dukes.  Also, I believe
> that livery collars are reserved to those holding a Grant of Arms or better.

Are you sure about this being a society-wide restriction? I seem to
remember seeing a wide variation in coronets between kingdoms And our
baron recently got the barony to buy him and the baroness new coronets
because the regulations had changed and they could now wear pearls (or
some other new dangly). I suspect I would have heard more if this was a
changed Society wide regulation.
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net