[Sca-cooks] Italian Recipes

BareToad at aol.com BareToad at aol.com
Wed Sep 19 09:34:26 PDT 2001

Hullo the list!

I have finally emerged from the vinegar-induced fog of the last culinary
guild here in Wintermist.  I am somewhat surprised that the five page handout
has now been fine tuned into a five page article for publication in our
kingdom arts newsletter.  I am still somewhat doubtful that it is of that
caliber, but when the editor of the ArsCaidis says "gimme!"...I just hope
that people will read it in the spirit in which it was written: I knew
nothing about vinegar when I started and I wrote for people in the same boat.
 Perhaps some members of the list would care to critique it?  I can send it
as an attachment.

After seeing all of the wonderful menus posted to the list in recent months I
have decided that I would also like to do a feast.  I thought it would be so
easy to do an Italian feast...I guess I should also mention that I have a
tendency to jump in to things feast first!  All right:  I have two books in
this particular area:  Barbara Santich's "The Original Mediterranean Cuisine"
and the wonderful "Medieval Kitchen."  I will be ordering Platina soon,
increasing my collection by one third:-)  Are there any other books that
would be helpful?

I have also decided that I would like to do a booklet.  I have heard them
mentioned a great deal, but I have never been to a feast in Caid that
provided these (it must be that whole living at the northern edge of the
kingdom business...I miss much of the really neat stuff to the South).  What
is normally included in one of these booklets?  General information on the
construction of the feast?  Recipes?  Pictures?  What kind of format is used?
 Sigh.  These days I have more questions than answers!  (On top of it, my
shire thinks that I am a nutso authenticity superfreak...I like to tell them
that it is a personal goal for myself to try to do things in a more period
fashion, that it has absolutely nothing to do with showing them that period
food is not yucky...)

THL Mairin
Wintermist, Caid

For though we sleep or wake, or roam, or ride, Aye fleets the time, it will
no man abide.
- Geoffrey Chaucer